Honey Infused Smoothies: How to Perfect any Smoothie Recipe with Honey
It’s not breaking news that a nutritious breakfast can truly kickstart your day. With busy schedules and other priorities, it can become difficult to find nutritious and accessible breakfast meals that you actually want to eat. Avo toast or porridge can be great, but they aren’t always the most balanced options and can leave you with sugar cravings before it’s even hit morning tea.
Smoothies are also not a new craze, but an underrated one at that. Undefined by ingredients, they are a truly versatile snack or meal option, easily able to be customised to your tastes. Choose your ingredients wisely and you can create a balanced breakfast meal full of macros and nutrients, guaranteed to keep you feeling full, energised and hydrated. While it’s important to be careful of adding too many refined sugars to your smoothie, at risk of it becoming a dessert, there are added sweetener options that can actually be beneficial to you.
Honey in Smoothies
Honey is one of the best natural sweeteners to help make your breakfast smoothie more desirable, decadent and delicious, without compromising on nutrition.
The benefits of honey are most pronounced when consumed raw and of high quality. This includes using it as a substitute for an artificial sweetener and blended into a smoothie.
Vallentine’s Honey options all have many health benefits, but their consistency and decadent taste make for the perfect addition to your favourite smoothie recipe, reducing any bitterness.
Health Benefits of Honey
Besides the undeniable delicious flavour of honey, when consumed raw and in moderation, it can be considered a superfood and a rich source of antioxidants.
While ‘superfood’ and ‘antioxidants’ have lately been used as buzz words, honey takes these titles very seriously. Historically, honey was the first and most widely used sweetener. Its use dates back to 2100 B.C. where it was used as a decadent form of currency and offering, and for nutritional and medicinal purposes.
Some of these uses remain today, and further research into the nutritional and health factors of honey proves its consumption to have countless benefits.
1. Helps with digestive issues: Raw honey has the potential to promote the growth and activity of probiotic bacteria, helping to maintain a healthy gut microbiome if consumed regularly in moderation.
2. Antioxidant support: Containing anti-inflammatory properties, just one spoon a day can give much-needed energy to the antimicrobial to help treat diabetic ulcers, reduce IBS inflammation, treat sore throats, promote good oral health and soothe skin conditions.
3. Natural remedy: Raw honey acts as an excellent natural remedy to counteract indigestion, treat acid reflux, fight infections, improve allergies, relieve sore throat and cough, treat sleep disturbances, treat eczema and dermatitis, heal acne, moisturise lips and skin, and hydrate your hair.
With approximately 22 amino acids, 31 different minerals and an endless variety of vitamins, it is clear to see how raw honey can have so many benefits. Due to the minimal processing, Vallentine’s Honey endures their products, the honey remains as strong and anti-inflammatory as possible.
With so many health benefits to honey, not to mention its deliciously sweet taste, it seems almost naive not to combine it with the powers of a smoothie.
We have gathered some indulgent smoothie recipes, that when paired with honey, create the perfect start to your day or balanced afternoon snack.
We have recommended a different Vallentine’s Honey to best complement each smoothie, however, you can substitute it for your favourite variety.
Natural Tropical Fruits Smoothie
The ultimate afternoon pick-me-up, this smoothie is fresh, zesty, and full of flavour. Not only packed with the nutrients from the fruits but tied together in flavour and antioxidants with our Manuka Honey 8+ it makes for the perfect summer drink. Made with 100% natural ingredients, this smoothie lets the benefits of the Manuka honey shine.
- 1 tablespoon of Vallentine’s Honey
- 1 carrot (peeled and chopped)
- 1 cup pineapple (frozen)
- ¾ cup mango (frozen)
- 1 banana (frozen)
- ½ cup orange juice (freshly squeezed)
- ½ unsweetened almond milk
Tropical Green Smoothie
A simple yet refreshing delight, when paired with Manuka Honey 8+, this smoothie requires minimal ingredients yet contains maximum flavour. To fully reap the antioxidising benefits of Manuka honey, all you need is 1 to 2 tablespoons each day. In the spirit of the traditional green smoothie, this one packs a healthy punch and delivers the ultimate combination of nutrients and immune boosters.
- 1 tablespoon Vallentine’s Honey
- 4 kiwis (peeled and roughly chopped)
- ½ green apple (finely chopped)
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- Ice cubes
- 1 sprig mint (roughly chopped)
Sweet Breakfast Smoothie
Our Macadamia Honey takes the traditional breakfast smoothie and turns it into a simple yet gourmet breakfast meal. The addition of macadamia brings a truly delicious, sweet and nutty flavour that’s jam-packed with health benefits and the potential to boost your immune system. A smoothie so good, you’ll be dreaming of it.
- 1 ½ tablespoon of Vallentine’s Honey for extra sweetness
- ¼ cup raspberries
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup greek or coconut yoghurt
- 1 cup milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- Ground cinnamon (to taste)
Healthy Snickers Smoothie
This is a smoothie you are not going to be able to resist. Chocolate, peanut, and banana combined with Macadamia Honey create a sweet, decadent and nutritious smoothie for any time of the day. Perfect to satisfy those sugar cravings while leaving you nourished and full. Not to forget the added bonus, this honey contains proven anti-aging properties to plump and smooth your skin.
- 1 tablespoon of Vallentine’s Honey
- 1 ½ tablespoon natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 2 frozen bananas
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup non-dairy yoghurt
- 1 date (finely chopped)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- OPTIONAL: cacao nibs (to top)
Avocado Fruit Smoothie
With a good source of fibre and fats, this smoothie and the pleasant addition of avocado and Vallentine’s World’s Strongest Honey can help maintain your sugar levels and keep you energised without that afternoon sugar crash. The honey contains components from specific plant sources giving it an exceptionally high level of plant-derived antibacterial activity, giving it a subtle yet powerful antimicrobial boost.
- 2 tablespoons Vallentine’s Honey
- 1 cup blueberries (frozen)
- 1 cup of greens (mixed spinach, kale, etc.)
- 1 cup coconut milk (or other non-dairy alternative)
- ½ ripe avocado (skinned and pitted)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- OPTIONAL: 1 scoop protein or maca powder
Green Tea Fruit Smoothie
This smoothie combines the power of a juice, smoothie and iced tea to create the ultimate healthy, relaxing and refreshing beverage. Top it off by infusing it with the World’s Strongest Honey for added health benefits. Tea beverages are already notorious for their calming properties, combined with the healing properties of raw honey, this is the ultimate drink to meet your health and wellness desires.
- 1 tablespoon of Vallentine’s Honey
- ½ cup mixed fruit (preferably frozen mango, banana, melon, pineapple, etc.)
- ½ cup unsweetened tea (cold)
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
Chopping and throwing ingredients into a blender is a relatively simple task. However, doing so and ending up with a smoothie that tastes delicious, has the perfect texture, and contains balanced nutrients can be more challenging than it seems.
While recipes can help, here are some tips to optimise your honey-infused smoothie:
1. Don’t go overboard with the ice – it can dilute the flavour and texture of your smoothie, opt for frozen fruits instead of fresh as a substitute for excess ice.
2. Avoid incorporating too many added sweeteners – if you don’t need artificial sweeteners, it’s better to avoid them. Just one tablespoon of Vallentine’s Honey is enough to balance the taste and nutrition of your smoothie.
3. Avoid sweetened milk varieties, and try to opt for unsweetened variants to let the natural flavours and nutrients shine.
4. Don’t be scared to add protein – whether it is from nut butters, protein powders, chia seeds, or yoghurt varieties, it will increase the nutritional value, texture and taste depending on your preferences.
For the ultimate addition to your smoothie, visit Vallentine’s Honey to find out more about the various types of honey available to you. Contact for more details and information regarding the benefits of honey.
Popular uses of Medi...
Known for its anti-inflammatory and healing properties, honey is renowned as one of nature’s superfoods. While medicinal uses of honey date back to ancient civilisations, not all honey is the same. Raw honey...
The Healing Properti...
Natural health solutions are becoming increasingly popular. Skincare specialists have long proclaimed that raw honey is a miracle cure for dry and damaged skin. But what’s behind their claims? Can honey be a...